Return to list of all Blackfox awards
Every Kingdom has many talented and hard-working chroniclers, recording the culture and history of their groups and enriching the Society both now and for the future. Their pride in group, Kingdom, and the SCA, shines throughout these publications. To the many contributors of photography that reflects who we are, illustrations that shows our heart, poetry that lifts our souls, articles that educate our minds, how-to’s that inspire us, and cartoons that lift our spirit-you have my gratitude.
Recipients of this prestigious award have the right to use “Master William Blackfox Award Winner, “category”, AS LIV (54)” in their newsletters with the Blackfox logo.
Mistress Arianna Stefana Falconi, OP
Best Overall Newsletter
Not necessarily the best-looking newsletter, but rather the newsletter which best meets the needs of the local group or guild for which it is published. It should accurately reflect the status of the group and be a valuable tool for growth and promotion of SCA goals and ideals. This title is awarded to the newsletter and the Chronicler.
The winner: Meridies: The Equinox, Shire of Sol Haven; Chronicler: Mistress Bronwen O Gydweli
Commendation: Artemisia: The Bronzehelm Watch, Barony of Bronzehelm; Chronicler: Lord Colgrym of Avebury
- Ansteorra: The Trumpeter, Barony of Bordermarch; Chronicler: HE Santiago de Monte Verde
- Atenveldt: Tusker Times, Barony of Tir Ysgithr; Chronicler: Baroness Eilidh MacMurtie
- Atlantia: The NoD-Y-RIT, Barony of Tir-Y-Don; Chroniclers: Pietro Trevisan; Christina O’Cleary
- Caid: The Serpent’s Tongue, Barony of Calafia; Chronicler: THLady Dagný Starkaðardóttir
- Calontir: The Banner, Barony of Lonely Tower; Chronicler: Lady Krystyn I Lund
- Drachenwald: Court Jester, Ad Flumentum Caerulum; Chronicler: Geirdís Geirharðardóttir
- Ealdormere: Clarion, Barony of Ben Dunfirth; Chronicler: Baroness Augusta Weyfare
- East: The Kenning Points, Barony of Smocking Rocks; Chronicler: Lady Marguerite von Elfenau
- Gleann Abhann: Waterspark, Province of Lagerdamm; Chronicler: THL Aine ingen on Gobhann
- Lochac: Dragon Taeles, Canton of Dragon’s Bay; Chronicler: Gumuuinus de Eggafridicapell
- Middle: Thunderbolt, Barony of Andlecrag; Chronicler: Lady Vinica Taviani
- Northshield: Song of the Tower, Caer Anterth Mawr; Chronicler: Dame Idonia Tate
- West: The Skald, Barony of Fettburg; Chronicler: Michael Huntynge of Palgrave
Best Layout and Design
For the best-looking newsletter in balance and style. Awarded to the newsletter and the Chronicler.
The winner: Ansteorra: The Thorny Truth, Shire of Rosenfeld; Chronicler: THL Jessimond of Emerickeskepe
Commendation: Drachenwald: Court Jester, Ad Flumentum Caerulum; Chronicler: Geirdís Geirharðardóttir
- Artemisia: The Gryphon’s Roar, Barony of Gryphon’s Lair; Chronicler: HE Don Sionainn Padraig
- Atenveldt: Chronus Draconum, Barony of SunDragon; Chronicler: THL Kandace Van de Libel
- Atlantia: The Yeoman, Barony of Bright Hills; Chronicler: Lady Scholastica Joycors
- Caid: The Serpent’s Tongue, Barony of Calafia; Chronicler: THLady Dagný Starkaðardóttir
- Calontir: The Dragonflyre, Barony of Vatavia; Chronicler: Mistress Sorcha O’Riain
- Ealdormere: The Clarion, Barony of Ben Dunfirth; Chronicler: Baroness Augusta Weyfare
- East: The Stronghold, Canton of Northpass; Chronicler: Kunigunde Wedemann
- Gleann Abhann: Bayou Tapestry, Barony of Axemoor; Chronicler: Frances Faber
- Lochac: From the Tower, Barony of Southron Gaard; Chronicler: Baroness Agnes de Graye
- Middle: Thunderbolt, Barony of Andlecrag; Chronicler: Lady Vinica Taviani
- Northshield: Crystal Quill, Barony of Nordskogen; Chronicler: Mistress Rosanore of Redthorn
- West: The Guardian, Principality of Oertha; Chronicler: Halfdan “Two Bears” Ôzurrson
For artwork on the cover or interior of the newsletter. Awarded to both the newsletter and the artist.
The winner: Ansteorra: Artist: Maesro Petruccio Cuccieri; Cover Art, The Thorny Truth; Shire of Rosenfeld.
Chronicler: THL Jessimond of Emerickeskepe
Commendation: Middle: Artist: Lady Vinica Taviani; Photograph: Musicians at Winter Revel, The Thunderbolt; Barony of Andlecrag. Chronicler: Lady Vinica Taviani
- Artemisia: Artist: Lord Harun ibn Yusif al-Qudsi; Cover art – June 2019, The Bronzehelm Watch; Barony of Bronzehelm. Chronicler: Lord Colgrym of Avebury
- Atenveldt: Artist: THL Pol O Coileain; Photo Cuteness Overload, The Ermine Spot, August 2019; Barony of Granite Mountain. Chronicler: Lady Ann of the Celts
- Atlantia: Artist: Baroness Machteld Cleine; Photo from”A Note From Their Excellencies”, The Knottinghill Quill; Barony of Knottinghill Coill. Chronicler: Lady Merewyn Scharp
- Calontir: Artist: Mistress Sorcha O’Riain; Maypole Dance, The Dragonflyer; Barony of Vatavia. Chronicler: Mistress Sorcha O’Riain
- Drachenwald: Artist: Master Paul de Gorey; Waiting from the Back, Baelfyr; Insulae Draconis. Chronicler: Lady Amphelise de Wodeham
- East: Artist: Kunigunde Wedemann; Illustration Cover art based on a detail from “Roman de la Rose”, The Stronghold; Canton of Northpass. Chronicler: Conandil ingen Donngaile
- Gleann Abhann: Artist: THL Sula Allrasystir; Cartoon, Anachronism Inc., Ursa Minor; Barony of Small Gray Bear
- Chronicler: Eilis Ingean Claiudgh
Best Special Issue
For Arts & Sciences issues or other limited-focus issues of a geographic group (Canton, Shire, Barony, etc.). Awarded to the newsletter and the Chronicler.
The winner: Atlantia: The Drakkar: Special Pennisc Edition; Barony of Storvik. Chronicler: Lord Morgan O’Lathlann
Commendation: Ansteorra: The Thorny Truth: Special “Resource Sampler” Edition; Shire of Rosenfeld; Chronicler: THL Jessimond of Emerickeskepe
- East: The Stronghold: Blood & Axes the Third Special Edition; Canton of Northpass; Chronicler: Conandil ingen Donngaile
- Lochac: From the Tower: Special Edition; Barony of Southron Gaard; Chronicler: Baroness Agnes de Graye
- Middle: The Shards: Equestrian Edition; Barony of Shattered Stars; Chronicler: Tiarna Cináed Ulric, Amhranai tan Briongloid
- Northshield: Song of the Tower: Celebration of 40 Years Edition; Caer Anterth Mawr; Chronicler: Dame Idonia Tate
Best Special Interest Newsletter
This category recognizes guild newsletters, research newsletters, and Arts & Science focus newsletters (such as lace-making). Awarded to the newsletter and the Chronicler.
The Winner: Lochac: Cockatrice; A&S Newsletter, Various Authors. Chronicler: Lady Gwen verch David/Lord Bjorn Sæmundarson
Commendations: Atlantia: “Three Raised Embroidery Stitches for the Anachronistic Embroiderer”; The Nod-y-rIT, Author: Mevanou verch reys Yriskynit, Barony of Tir-y-Don. Chronicler: Lady Christina O’Cleary
- Ansteorra: September 2019; The Halberd, Barony of Bryn Gwlad. Chronicler: Gwenneth Bowynne
Best Regular Feature
For cartoons, articles, columns, etc. which appear regularly in the particular newsletter. Awarded to the creator or feature writer and the newsletter.
The winner: Atlantia: “Lore From the Larder”, Author: Lady Scolastica Joycors; The Yoeman, Barony of Bright Hills. Chronicler: Lady Scolastica Joycors
Commendation: Meridies: “Shire Shire” Cartoon, Cartoonist: Mistress Bronwen O Gydweli; The Equinox, Shire of Sol Haven. Chronicler: Mistress Bronwen O Gydweli
- Ansteorra: “Why I Volunteer”, Author: Salvador Paolo e Barcelona; Eldern Pages, Barony of Eldern Hills. Chronicler: Salvador Paolo de Barcelona
- Artemisia: “Iduna’s Language Information”, Author: Mistress Iduna Snorradottir; The Dragon’s Eye, Shire of Stan Wyrm. Chronicler: Mistress Iduna Snorradottir & Lady Colleen of Stan Wyrm
- Atenveldt: “Cooks Corner”, Multiple Authors; Thunderbolt, Barony March of Mons Tonitrus. Chronicler: Margherita de Ferrara
- Calontir: “What Newcomers Should Know About…”, Author: Baroness Ayisha bint Asad; The Clarion, Barony of Forgotten Sea. Chronicler: Honorable Lord Edward Logan de Monro
- Drachenwald: Cartoon – “Knowne World … Somewhere …”, Author: Oriana nic Kendrick; Baelfyr, Insulae Draconis. Chronicler: Lady Amphelise de Wodeham
- Ealdormere: “Territories Claimed”, Author: Baroness Augusta Weyfare; Clarion, Barony of Ben Donfirth. Chronicler: Baroness Augusta Weyfare
- East: “The History of An Dubhaigeainn”, Author: Baroness Mistress Suzanne Neuber de Londres; The Viaduct, Barony of An Dubhaigeainn. Chronicler: Lily Morgaine of the East
- Gleann Abhann: “Anachronism Inc. Cartoon”, Artist: Caren Walloch; Ursa Minor: Barony of Small Grey Bear. Chronicler: Eilis Ingean Claiudgh
- Lochac: “Baronial Missive”, Author: The Baron and Baroness of Aneala; The Vine, Barony of Aneala. Chroniclers: Wolfgang Germanicus / Kilic
- Middle: “Dear Abbot”, Author: Abbot of the Abbey of Saint Leibowitz; The Derneherald, Shire of Derneheald. Chronicler: Finche Odhinnsdottir
- Northshield: “Chronicler’s Quill”, Author: Anna Meyer; Mewsletter, Shire of Falcon’s Keep. Chronicler: Anna Meyer
Recognizes excellence in articles appearing in a local newsletter. Awarded to the writer and the newsletter.
The winner: Calontir: “Malory’s Le Mort D’Artur and Literary Images of Women in Fifteenth Century Europe”, Author: HL Dulcibella de Chateaurien; The Dancing Moon, Shire of Calanais Nuadh. Chronicler: THL Dulcibella de Chateaurien
Commendation: Gleann Abhann: “Noblesse Oblige”, Author: Sir Thomas of Aylesbury; The Clouded Issue, Barony of Grey Niche. Chronicler: Ivan Alexovich
- Ansteorra: “From Seed to Cloth: A lecture on Medieval Europe’s Linen Production”, Author: Cailleach Dhe Inghean Ui Chaerbhaill; The Plume, Barony of Namron. Chronicler: Bantiarna Cailleach Dhe Inghean Ui Chaerbhaill
- Artemisia: “Lead into Gold, or, Medieval Beliefs about Alchemy”, Author: Mistress Iduna Snorradottir; The Dragon’s Eye, Shire of Stan Wyrm. Chronicler: Mistress Iduna Snorradottir
- Atlantia: “Elderberries, parts 1, 2, and 3”, Author: Mary Poschet; Clyffe Notes, Barony of Dun Carraig. Chronicler: Mary Poschet
- Caid: “Hippocras with Hall brjost”, Author: THLord Hall brjost Starsson; Dreiburgen News, Barony of Dreiburgen. Chronicler: Lord Ramvoldus Kröll
- Drachenwald: “Hunting Pot with Spelt Semolina Slices”, Author: Katharina Woinovich; Court Jester, Ad Flumen Caerulum. Chronicler: Geirdís Geirharðardóttir
- Ealdormere: “How and Whay to Behave as a Lady or Gentlemen of Honour”, Author: Mistress Roselyne de l’Estrangere (OL); Ursus, Barony of Septentria. Chronicler: Rudeus
- East: “Grow Your Own Feast”, Author: Mistress Nest Verch Tangwistel; The Kenning Points, Barony of Smoking Rocks. Chronicler: Lady Marguerite von Elfenau
- Lochac: “The Noble Ladies of Essen”, Author: Mistress Eleonora van den Bogaerde; From the Tower, Southron Gaard. Chronicler: Baroness Agnes de Graye
- Middle: “Saphire Science: Medieval Herb Gardens”, Author: Cináed Ulric; The Shards, Barony of the Shattered Crystal. Chroniclers: Tiarna Cináed Ulric, Amhranai tan Briongloid
- Northshield: “Redacting Recipes”, Author: THL Rhys ap Ishmael LLygad Odd; Song of the Tower, Caer Anterth Mawr. Chronicler: Dame Idonia Tate
- West: “The West Kingdom History Website and You”, Author: Hirsch von Henford; Tempus Nebularum, Principality of the Mists. Chronicler: Argenteilin filia Elffin
Best Poetry or Short Fiction
Recognizes the author of an outstanding poem or piece of short fiction. Awarded to the writer and the newsletter.
The Winner: Middle: “Thorkel Returns Home”, Author: Thorhalla Carlsdo ttir af Broberg; Shadow Press, Barony of Shadowed Stars. Chronicler: Ulrich Halfdon Ulfsson
Commendation: Drachenwald: “A Poem: Cat, Pelican and Shield”, Poet: Alessandra di Riario d’Aretino; Baelfyr, Insulae Draconis. Chronicler: Lady Amphelise de Wodeham
- Ansteorra: “The Flame of Wiesenfeuer”, Poet: Elspeth Bhoruma inghean Bhrian; The Flamebearer, Barony of Wiesenfeuer. Chronicler: HL Lynnette le Long
- Atlantia: “The Bamboo Flute”, Poet: Hattori Shojuro-san; The Mountain Mayhem, Barony of Hidden Mountain. Chronicler: Lord William Costello
- Caid: “The Magic of Estrella”, Poet: : Baron Claudius Brutus Di Bartolomeo; The Runestone, : Barony of Western Seas. Chronicler: Lady Kathryn of Caledonia
- Calontir: “Flowers in the Graveyard”, Poet/Songwriter: Honorable Lord Janos Katona; The Clarion, September, 2019, Barony of Forgotten Sea. Chronicler: Honorable Lord Edward Logan de Munro
- Gleann Abhann: “Bailey Rose’s Persona Story”, Author: Bailey Rose; A Sealion’s Tale, Barony of Seleone. Chronicler: Ellyn Heath of Hemingford Grey
- Lochac: “Tales of Portents, Monsters and Pirates: The Baskin-Kerr Alternative Timeline Archives”, Author: Mistress katherine kerr; From the Tower, April LV/The site of katherine kerr of the Hermitage, Southron Gaard. Chronicler: Baroness Agnes de Graye
Kingdom Chroniclers’ Honorable Mentions
Nominations which didn’t fit into the above categories, yet are still deserving of recognition for their exceptional work and/or dedication to producing the best possible newsletter for the local group served. Recognition of merit given to the individual nominee.
- Ansteorra: Newsletter: Two Towers, Barony of Stargate, Chronicler: Tecuhtli Tenochcacuicatl Delmar
- Artemisia: Article: “Yours In Service”, Beul nam Beinnean, Author; THL Isgerthr Bjargeyjardottir, Barony of Sentinels’ Keep. Chronicler: THL Vigdis
- Atlantia: Article with poem “Weaving Your Dreams”, Author: Baroness Machteld Cleine, The Knottinghill Quill, Barony of Knottinghill Coill. Chronicler: Lady Merewyn Scharp
- Calontir: Newsletter: The Parade; Shire of Heraldshill. Chronicler: Lord Sifrid von Eichelborn
- Drachenwald: Newsletter: The Knightingale, Barony of Knight’s Crossing. Chronicler: Richart von Brandenburg
- Eadormere: Newsletter: The Ursus; Barony of Septentria. Chronicler: Rubeus le Blont
- East: Article; “A Day in the Life of the EK Blue Tyger Submissions Office”, Author; Lilie Dubh inghean ui Mordha, Pantheon, Herald, E-Horse; Province of Ostgardr. Chronicler: Lady Zahra al-Andalucía
- Gleann Abhann: Newsletter: Crane’s Call; The Shire of CaerDùn. Chronicler: Rafn Snarfari
- Lochac: Newsletter: Innilgard Irregular; Barony of Innilgard. Chronicler: THL Sorcha le Breton
- Meridies: Newsletter: The New Dragon Standard; Shire of Drakenmere. Chronicler: THL Theodora Doukaina
- West: Newsletter: The Strand; Barony of Allyshia. Chronicler: Catriona MacRath
Kingdom Newsletter Categories
Best Cover for a Kingdom Newsletter
Recognizes the creator of a piece provided for use as the cover of a kingdom newsletter. Awarded to the artist(s).
The Winner: West: Rob the Minstrel, Photograph: “Ducal Bardic”; The Page, November 2019 Issue.
Commendation: Calontir: THL Konstantia Kaloethina, Illustration: “Lucian and Tamar”; The Mews, March 2020 Issue.
- Ansteorra: Master Isaac Bane, Illustration: “Invitation”; Black Star, January 2020 Issue.
- Artemisia: Lord Harun ibn Yusuf al-Qudsi, Illustration: “Portrait of Wavrin the Wanderer”; The Sage Advice, January 2020 Issue.
- Atenveld: Lady Paparazzi, Photograph: “Untitled”; Southwind, February 2020 Issue.
- Atlantia: Lady Freydis Sjona, Illustration: Illuminated Border; The Acorn, May 2019 Issue.
- Caid: Sir Tiberius Finn, Photograph: “Sunset at Estrella”; The Crown Prints, June 2019 Issue.
- Drachenwald: Ylva, Photograph; “Crown Tourney – The Royal Heirs on the field”; Dragon Tales, December 2019 Issue.
- East: Alayne Alexandra Nyvern Nightwatcher, OP, Illustration, “Based upon a Bestiary c.1300”; The Pikestaff, February 2020 Issue.
- Lochac: Master Giles de Roet, OL, Illustration;, “A botanical study depicting a martagon lily, sweet violet and heartease”. Pegasus, March 2020 Issue.
- Meridies: HRM Sebastiannos, Photograph, “Tiberius, Royal War Dog of Meridies”. Popular Chivalry, September 2019 Issue.
- Middle: Baroness Astridr Zahra Ymirsdottir, Photograph, “Mistress Sarai Takes Her Oath”. The Pale, January 2020 Issue.
- Northshield: Thora Hrafnsteinn Ornolfsdottir, Illustration, “Cover Art”. Norhtwatch, September 2019 Issue.
Best Written Contribution to a Kingdom Newsletter
Recognizes the author of an article, regular or special feature, poem, etc. provided for use by a kingdom newsletter. Awarded to the author.
The Winner: Artemisia: HE K. Braden von Sobernheim, Regularly Featured Articles: “Random Carp”; The Sage Advice, Multiple Issues.
Commendation: Drachenwald: Danel Udalschou, Article: “Viking leg wraps”; Dragon’s Tale, July 2019.
- Caid: THLady Finna the Weaver, Regularly Featured Articles: “Period Games”; The Crown Prints, September 2019 Issue.
- Ealdormere: Lord Eóin MacAlpin of Hound Hall, Article: “Ramblings of Winter Solstice”; Tidings, January 2020 Issue.
- Lochac: Sir Lucas Von Aych, Article: “Some advice from the Chiv….”; Pegasus, February 2020 Issue.
- Middle: THL Reinmar of Shattered Crystal, Article: “You Don’t Need to Own a Horse or Ride to Participate in SCA Equestrian”, The Pale, December 2019 Issue.
- Northshield: HE Maestro Christoforo Alfonso Pallavincino da Firenze, Article: “Documentation for A&S – It’s really not that bad”, Northwatch, December 2019 Issue.
- West: Bear of Red House, Bard of the West, Poem: “Welcome”; The Page, October 2019 Issue.
Best Artistic Contribution to a Kingdom Newsletter
Recognizes the artist of artwork or photography used in the interior of a kingdom newsletter. Awarded to the artist(s).
Winner: Ealdormere: Duchess Kaylah the Cheerful, Cartoon; Parallax, Tidings, Multiple Issues.
Commendation: Atenveldt: Baroness Sigríðr Úlfsdóttir de Lacy, Photograph; ”Overall Contributions” Southwind Extra, Multiple Issues.
- Ansteorra: Melodie de Ryes, Photograph, “Photo of Their Majesties”; The Black Star, December 2019 Issue.
- Artemisia: Jora Williamsdottir, Photograph, “Rapier Fighters”; The Sage Advice, June 2019 Issue.
- Atlantia: Baroness Machteld Cleine, Photograph, “Picture of Their Majesties”; The Acorn, May 2019 Issue.
- Drachenwald: Michelle, Photograph, “Midwinter 2018 – Lit Torches on the Way Home Through the Forest”; Dragon’s Tale, November 2019 Issue.
- Lochac: Mistress katherine kerr, Ink Drawings, “Cockatrice”; Pegasus, April 2020 Issue.
- Middle: Baron Óláfr ĺgulbjarnarson, Photo, “A Living A&S Project – the Gomakitou (wish tree)”; The Pale, December 2019 Issue.
- Northshield: Duchess Kaylah the Cheerful, OP, MOA, MOD, Cartoon; Parallax; Northwatch, September, December 2019 Issue.
Best Overall Kingdom Supplements for the year A.S. 54
Recognizes the work done on Kingdom Supplements. Awarded to the Kingdom chronicler and their team.
Top Three Winners:
- Drachenwald: Dragon’s Tale Articles AS50-53 July 2019.
- Ealdormere: Vox Borealis – September 2019.
- Trimaris: Triskele – April 2020.
- An Tir: The Crier Supplement – August 2019.
- Atenveldt: Southwind XTRA – May 2019, June 2019, July 2019, August 2019, September 2019, October 2019, November 2019, December 2019, January 2020.
- Ealdormere: Vox Borealis – May 2019, June 2019, July 2019, August 2019, October 2019, November 2019, December 2019, January 2020, February 20202, March 2020, April 2020.
- Lochac: Pegasus XTRA – March 2020.