Find Out More About Us!
- “What is the SCA?”
How did the SCA begin? How is it organized? Why is everyone wearing odd clothing and bowing to those people with crowns?
- Visit our Newcomers’ Portal for photos and descriptions of activities
- View our Photo Gallery and Videos
- Read the “Newcomer’s Guide to the SCA”
- Find out about Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) in the SCA. (Includes Accessibility Information)
Get in Touch
- Find the kingdom you live in, and contact your local group
- Follow your kingdom’s Facebook page for news and info
- View Kingdoms’ Event Calendars
Every local group is different. Some run demos and emphasize new member outreach, while others may be waiting for you to contact them. Some large groups sponsor a variety of practices, workshops, and events in their area, while members of smaller groups may need to travel in order to participate in such activities. You are welcome to participate in SCA activities and events sponsored by any group you want to travel to, near or far. One group may have a strong fighter practice, another an amazing sewing circle, and another a monthly dance practice. Try them all!
- Getting Ready for Your First Event
what you’ll need to bring, what to expect at the event
- The “Newcomer’s Guide to the SCA”
- The Known World Handbook and many other publications are also available from the SCA Bookshop.
- Advice to Newcomers
- Newcomers are Nice – Advice to Established Members – Sometimes long-time members are just as unsure about approaching newcomers as you are about approaching them! This article may help you both meet in the middle.
- The SCA Without Breaking the Bank
Tips on affordable ways to put together a costume (even if you can’t sew!), tablewear, camping gear, archery & fighting equipment, etc.
What to Wear
- Making Medieval Clothes and Accessories
articles and instructions on Medieval and Renaissance clothing, links to costuming resources
- Introduction to Garb
Quick tips on making men & women’s tunics, head-coverings, belts, and pouches; by Mistress Cynthia du Pré Argent
- Practical Worksheet for tunic construction
More detailed instructions on making a tunic/gown; by Mistress Cynthia du Pré Argent
- Some basic patterns are covered in the SCA’s Forward Into the Past pamphlet.
Who to be in the SCA
- What is an SCA Name?
- How to choose a Society Name: Hints for Newcomers
- Medieval Names Archive
- SCA College of Arms – Name Articles
- What’s a Persona? Choosing a Name and Creating a Persona
- Who’s Who in the SCA? see “New Member’s Guide to the SCA” page 5
Who can use noble titles? How should I address people? Who are the people wearing crowns?
- Glossary of SCA Jargon
The SCA has a vocabulary all its own. Here are definitions for the most commonly used terms you will hear at events or see in newsletters.
- SCA Calendar
Explains the SCA’s unique system for reckoning dates
- “You Know You’re in the SCA When…“
Amusing anecdotes about those times when the SCA spills over into your modern life.