Return to list of all Blackfox awards
The Chroniclers of the Known World are putting out some great newsletters! And the contributions that have been sent in this year as photography, illustrations, cartoons, articles, poems and stories are inspirational. Thank you to each of the submitters who spent time and effort to create something wonderful. You enrich these publications and the Society as a whole. Huzzah and well done!
I also extend my gratitude to my judges for their assistance in the selection of this year’s winners and commendations.
Recipients of this prestigious award will receive a Master William Blackfox token, a certificate and the right to use “Master William Blackfox Award Winner, “category”, AS LIII (53)” in their newsletters with the Blackfox logo.
Mistress Arianna Stefana Falconi, OP
Best Overall Newsletter
Not necessarily the best-looking newsletter, but rather the newsletter which best meets the needs of the local group or guild for which it is published. It should accurately reflect the status of the group and be a valuable tool for growth and promotion of SCA goals and ideals. This title is awarded to the newsletter and the Chronicler.
The winner: An Tir: Dragon’s Tongue, Barony of Dragon’s Mist; Chronicler: THL Kendryth filia Gerald
Commendation: Gleann Abhann: Ardanrunes, Shire of Ardanroe; Chronicler: Barun Rory ua Riada
- Æthelmearc: Ice Dragon, Barony of the Rhydderich Hael; Chronicler: Baron Magnus De Lyons
- Ansteorra: Greywinds, Shire of Graywood; Chronicler: Iona Nic Oitir
- Artemisia: The Dragon’s Eye, Shire of Stan Wyrm; Chronicler: Mistress Iduna Snorradottir
- Atenveldt: Tusker Times, Barony of Tir Ysgithr; Chronicler: Baron Brandon mac Artuir (acting), Baroness Eilidh MacMurtie
- Atlantia: Undercurrents, Barony of Highland Foorde: Chronicler: Lady Catella of Cilicia
- Caid: The Seraph, Barony of the Angels: Chronicler: THL Fu Ching Lan
- Calontir: The Dancing Moon, Shire of Calanais Nuadh: Chronicler: THL Dulcibella de Chateaurien
- Drachenwald: Dauphinen, Barony of Gotvik: Chronicler: Aleydis van Vilvorde
- East: The Viaduct, Barony of An Dubhaigeainn: Chronicler: Lily Morgaine of The East
- Lochac: From the Tower, Barony of Southron Gaard; Chronicler: THL Agnes Graye
- Middle: The RivenSTAR, Barony of Rivenstar; Chronicler: Lady Katrin Grimsdottir
- Trimaris: The Vair Bell, Shire of Starhaven; Chronicler: THL Eithne ingen Muirgein
- West: The Dragon Tale, Barony of Selviergard; Chronicler: Lady Delphine de Grenada
Best Layout and Design
For the best-looking newsletter in balance and style. Awarded to the newsletter and the Chronicler.
The winner: Caid: The Serpent’s Tongue, Barony of Calafia; Chronicler: THL Dagný Starkaðardóttir
Commendation: West: Vox Cynaguae, Principality of Cynagua; Chronicler: Treásach Þjóðhagi
- Æthelmearc: : Full Tilt, Barony of Delftwood; Chronicler: Baroness Desiderata Drake
- Ansteorra: Vox Populi, Province of Mooneschadowe; Chronicler: Diana de Blyth
- Artemesia: The Questing Quill, Barony of Loch Salann; Chroniclers: Lady Rhianna Ingen Cathail and Master Lawrence Bacon
- Atenveldt: The Lunar Cycle, Barony of Twin Moons; Chronicler: Lord Sean Porter
- Atlantia: The Notting Quill, Barony of Nottinghill Coill; Chronicler: Lady Merewyn Scharp
- Calontir: The Banner, Barony of Lonely Tower; Chronicler: Lady Krystyn I Lund
- Drachenwald: The Court Jester, Ad Flumen Caerulum; Chroniclers: Elisabeth Albenberger and Geirdís Geirhardsdóttir
- East: Notes from Underground, Barony of the Bridge; Chronicler: Lady Aine O’Tuathail
- Lochac: The Tower, Barony of Southron Gaard; Chronicler: THL Agnes Graye
- Middle: The Portcullis, Barony of Brendoken; Chronicler: Lady Milisandia MacGreghere
- Trimaris: The Waterspout, Barony of Marcaster; Chronicler: Lady Liadan ingen Diarmata
For artwork on the cover or interior of the newsletter. Awarded to both the newsletter and the artist.
The winner: Artemesia: Artist: Lord Yusif al-Quds; “Cover Illustration, portrait of Nacho Stanford”, The Bronzehelm Watch; Barony of Bronzehelm. Chronicler: Lord Colgrym of Avebury
Commendation: East: Artist: Ettore Dandolo; Illustration, “Commons”, The Stronghold; Canton of Northpass. Chronicler: Conandil ingen Donngaile
- Æthemearc: Artist: Lady Grainne Ruadh; “Cartoon, Tilting Windmills”, Full Tilt; Barony of Delftwood. Chronicler: Baintighearna Ania Mhoireach
- Ansteorra: Artist: HE Santiago de Monte Verde; Photography, “Cover Art”, The Trumpeter; Barony of Bordermarch. Chronicler: HE Santiago de Monte Verde
- Atenveldt: Artist: Lord Leolin Blackwell; Photography, “Cover Art”, The Higher Word, March 2019; Barony of Ered Sul. Chronicler: Lord Leolin Blackwell
- Atlantia: Artist: Lady Cassair Warwick; Photography, “Baron Roibeard Fighting Crown”, Hidden Mountain Mayhem; Barony of Hidden Mountain. Chronicler: Mistress Jorunn nic Lochlainn
- Calontir: Artist: Mistress Sorcha O’Riain; Illustration, “Cover Art: ‘Cat Got Your Tongue’”; The Dragonflyre. Barony of Vatavia. Chronicler: Mistress Sorcha O’Riain
- Drachenwald: Artist: Michelle Simonsen; Photograph, “Cover Art”, Silversparren, February 2019; Principality of Nordmark. Chronicler: Gele Pechplumin
- Trimaris: Artist: THL Eithne ingen Muirgein; Photograph, “Horn of Trimaris, Shire of Starhaven”, The Vair Bell; Shire of Starhaven. Chronicler: THL Eithne ingen Muirgein
Best Special Issue
For Arts & Sciences issues or other limited-focus issues of a geographic group (Canton, Shire, Barony, etc.). Awarded to the newsletter and the Chronicler.
The winner: Ansteorra: The Shadow Knows: Special Newcomers Edition; Shire of Shadowlands. Chronicler: Lady Miriel atte Linde
Commendation: Atenveldt: Tusker Times: Arts & Sciences Special Edition; Barony of Tir Ysgithr; Chronicler: Baroness Eilidh MacMurtie, OP
- Artemisia: MoAS Report, BSK Spring Arts & Sciences Competition 2018; Barony of Sentinels’ Keep. Chronicler: THL Suibhan MacDuff
- Æthelmearc: Across The Hills: 2018 Curia Edition; Barony of Endless Hills. Chronicler: Dono Leo-San
- Atlantia: The Yeoman: Special Editon; Barony of Bright Hills. Chronicler: Lady Scholastica Joycors
- East: The Stronghold: Special Editon; Canton of Northpass. Chronicler: Conandil ingen Donngaile
Best Special Interest Newsletter
This category recognizes guild newsletters, research newsletters, and Arts & Science focus newsletters (such as lace-making). Awarded to the newsletter and the Chronicler.
The Winner: Lochac: Cockatrice; A&S Newsletter, Various Authors. Chronicler: Lady Gwen verch David
Commendation: Atlantia: “Wooden Box in Timurid Style”; The Mountain Mayhem, Author: Lady Umm Samin, Barony of Hidden Mountain. Chronicler: Mistress Jorunn nic Lochlainn
Best Regular Feature
For cartoons, articles, columns, etc. which appear regularly in the particular newsletter. Awarded to the creator or feature writer and the newsletter.
The winner: Calontir: “What Newcomers Should Know About…”, Author: Baroness Ayisha bint Asad; The Clarion, Barony of Forgotten Sea. Chronicler: THL Edward Logan de Munro
Commendation: Lochac: “The Vine”, Author: Sir Eva von Danzig; The Derneherald, Barony of Aneala. Chronicler: Wolfgang Germanicus
- Æthelmearc:: “Tilting Windmills”, Illustrator: Lady Grainne Ruadh; Full Tilt, Barony of Delftwood. Chronicler: Baintighearna Ania Mhoireach
- An Tir: “Ask Uncle Vlad”, Author: Master Vladimir Andreivich Aleksandrov; The Northern Sentinel, Principality of Tir Righ. Chronicler: THL Tatiana Alexievna
- Ansteorra: “Dear Edun”, Author: Rose Hawthorne; Greywinds, Shire of Graywood. Chronicler: Iona Nic Oitir
- Artemisia: “Notes for Newcomers”, Author: Mistress Iduna Snorradottir; The Dragon’s Eye, Shire of Stan Wyrm. Chronicler: Mistress Iduna Snorradottir
- Atenveldt: “Do You Know Your Monsters”, Authors: Various; Thunderbolt, Barony March of Mons Tonitrus. Chronicler: Ghita da Ferrara
- Atlanta: “Overheard and Unattributed”, Authors: Said at the populace meeting, we won’t say by whom; The Drekkar, Barony of Storvik. Chroniclers: Mistress Teleri the Well-Prepared & Lord Morgan O’Lathlann
- Caid: “Playing with Fire”, Author: Baron Ragenald de Holecumb; The Phoenix, Barony of Nordwache. Chronicler: Mistress Teleri Garŏarsdóttir
- Drachenwald: “Cartoon”, Author: Oriana nic Kendrick; The Baelfyr: Principality of Insulae Draconis. Chronicler: Lady Amphelise de Wodeham
- East: “Member Highlight”, Author: Lily Anlaith Faa; The Viaduct, Barony of An Dubhaigeainn. Chronicler: Lily Anlaith Faa
- Middle: “Dear Abbot”, Author: Abbot of the Abbey of Saint Leibowitz; The Derneherald, Shire of Derneheald. Chronicler: Finche Odhinnsdottir
- Trimaris: “Cooking with the Viscount”, Author: Viscount Alexander Shanasie; The Saga, Shire of Sudrholt. Chronicler: THL Lilias MacLeoid
Recognizes excellence in articles appearing in a local newsletter. Awarded to the writer and the newsletter.
The winner: Drachenwald: “Medical and Culinary Use of the Violet”, Author: Katharina Woinowich; The Court Jester, Ad Flumentum Caerulum. Chronicler: Geirdís Geirhardsdóttir
Commendation: Lochac: “Comparing Medieval Medicine with Modern Allopathy and Homeopathy”, Author: Damon Daines; The Tower, Barony of Southron Gaard. Chronicler: Agnes Graye
- An Tir: “You Can Do Gothic Leaf Borders – 14th Century Designs”, Author: THL Alamanda de Claret; Wye’s Mouth, Barony of Wyewood. Chronicler: THL Emma Barrington & Deputy, Lord James Redbeard
- Æthelmearc: “Bits and Pieces: On Knitting”, Author: Lady Isabetta Simona da Murano; The Claymore, Shire of Misty Highlands. Chronicler: Lady Isabetta Simona da Murano
- Ansteorra: “An Argument for Voice Heralds”, Author: THL Ivo Blackhawk; The Thorny Truth, Shire of Rosenfeld. Chronicler: THL Calena di Rosa Nero
- Artemisia: “Notes for Newcomers: ‘Medieval Games – More Board and Table Games’”, Author: Mistress Iduna Snorradottir; The Dragon’s Eye, Shire of Stan Wyrm. Chronicler: Mistress Iduna Snorradottir
- Atlantia: “The Bards Corner: ‘Amaterasu and the Cave’”, Author: Lady Scholastica Joycors; The Yeoman, Barony of Bright Hills. Chronicler: Lady Scholastica Joycors
- Calontir: “How to Research in a Foreign Language”, Author: Lady Margery of Penrith; The Dancing Moon, Shire of Calanais Nuadh. Chronicler: Lady Dulcibella de Chateaurien
- East: “About Chivalry and Knighthood”, Author: Euric Germanicus; The Kenning Points, Barony of Smoking Rocks. Chronicler: Marguerite von Elfenau
- Middle: “‘Of Ghostes and Spirites’: Two Elizabethan Works on Apparitions”; Author: THL Johnnae llyn Lewis; The Citadel Fall 2018, Barony of Cynnabar. Chronicler: Lady Albina Gherardi
- Trimaris: “The Magic of War”, Author: Mistress Jehannette de Lille; CastleLore, Barony of Castlemere. Chronicler: THL Edwin Stibourne
- West: “My First Year in the SCA”, Author: þorvaldr Fiakson; The Scramasæx, Shire of Ravenshore. Chronicler: Pól mac Seáin
Best Poetry or Short Fiction
Recognizes the author of an outstanding poem or piece of short fiction. Awarded to the writer and the newsletter.
The Winner: An Tir: “Le Chanson de Garet”, Poet: THL Cáemgen mac Garbith ui Andrais; The North Wind, Barony of Lions Gate. Chronicler: Lady Mjorna al Rakkasah Lauritsdottir
Commendation: Trimaris: “I Fight for Her”, Poet: Mistress Ambra Michelli; The Vair Bell, October 2018 Issue, Shire of Starhaven. Chronicler: THL Eithne ingen Muirgein
- Ansteorra: “Sweet Rosenfeld”, Poet: Gird Truthsayer; The Thorny Truth, Shire of Rosenfeld. Chronicler: THL Calena di Rosa Nero
- Artemisia: “The Protosemmarion”, Author: Lord Yusif al-Quds; The Bronzehelm Watch, Barony of Bronzehelm. Chronicler: Lord Colgrym of Avebury
- Atlantia: “The Bamboo Flute”, Poet: Lord Hattori Shojuro-san; The Mountain Mayhem, September 2018 Issue, Barony of Hidden Mountain. Chronicler: Lady Qulan Chaghan
- Calontir: “Sing, Calontir”, Poet: Lady Melanie de la Tour; The Barge, Barony of Three Rivers. Chronicler: Lady Pádraigín An Eingh
- Drachenwald: “Cernac and the Pirates”, Poet: Mestari Pietari Uv; Aarniwalcea, Barony of Aarnimetsä. Chronicler: Johanna aff Hucka
- East: “Song of the Autocrat”, Poet: Eleazar ha-Levi; The Thorn, Shire of the Blak Rose. Chronicler: Tuathflaith ingen huí Chleirigh
- Lochac: “What Was It Like to be a Concubine in the Royal Harem in Moorish”, Author: Joan Fallon; Dragon Taeles, Canton of Dragon’s Bay. Chronicler: Mistress Liduina de Kasteelen van Valkenburg
- Middle: “The Raptor’s Tale”, Author: THL Jack Black of Flint; The Citadel, Barony of Cynnabar. Chronicler: Lady Albina Gherardi
Kingdom Chroniclers’ Honorable Mentions
Nominations which didn’t fit into the above categories, yet are still deserving of recognition for their exceptional work and/or dedication to producing the best possible newsletter for the local group served. Recognition of merit given to the individual nominee.
- Æthelmearc: Newsletter: The Claymore. Shire of Misty Highlands. Chronicler: Lady Isabetta Simona da Murano
- An Tir: Photo: “SCA Moments”. Author: Sadhbh Bheag inghean Toirrdhealbaigh; The Northern Sentinel, Principality of Tir Righ. Chronicler: THL Tatiana Alexievna
- Artemisia: Scroll Text/Poetry: “The Tale of Gregory”, Author: Sir Balenor Blackmere; The Moose Call, March 2019, Barony of Arn Hold. Chronicler: Cristina de Lagonissa
- Atenveldt: “In Gratitude for Service to the Office of Chronicler”, Author: Baron Brendan mac Artuir, Tusker Times, Barony of Tir Ysgithr.
- Atlantia: Newsletter: Clyffe Notes, The Barony of Dun Carraig. Chronicler: Lady Mary Poschet
- Calontir: Recurring Feature: “Letter from the Cook’s Guild”, Author: THL Fiona Nic Gormliatha, The Aerie; Shire of Cúman Iolair. Chronicler: Lord Niccolo
- Drachenwald: Article: “New Drachenwald Herbalist Guild”, Author: Elisande Walters; The Knightingale, Barony of Knight’s Crossing. Chronicler: Richart von Brandenburg
- East: Newsletter: Quid Nunc; Barony of Ruantallan. Chronicler: Lady Juliote de Castlenau d’Arri
- Lochac: Newsletter: Grapevine; Shire of Bordescros. Chronicler: Cairistiona inghean Raghnail, OP
Kingdom Newsletter Categories
Best Cover for a Kingdom Newsletter
Recognizes the creator of a piece provided for use as the cover of a kingdom newsletter. Awarded to the artist(s).
The Winner: Lochac: Mistress Katherne Rischer, Illumination: “St. Michael and the Dragon”; Pegasus, October 2018 Issue.
Commendation: Atenveldt: Baroness Sigríðr Úlfsdóttir de Lacy, Photograph: Untitled; Southwind, January 2019 Issue.
- Æthelmearc: Noble Rhys Penbras ap Dafydd, Photograph: “Illuminated ‘N’”; Astel, March 2019 Issue.
- An Tir: THL Ljúfvina haustmyrky Hrafnsdóttir, Photograph: “Madison and Bee”; The Crier Equestrian Supplement, July 2018 Issue.
- Ansteorra: Richard Threlkeld, Photograph: “Feast Table”; The Black Star, January 2019 Issue.
- Artemisia: THL William Thorsson, Photograph: “Artemisia Glass and Arrows”; The Sage Advice, July 2018 Issue.
- Atlantia: Lady Failenn ChuInghean Flaelain, Artwork: Illuminated Border; The Acorn, April 2019 Issue.
- Caid: THL Mico Zane, Photograph: “Sir Tiberius Finn at Great Western War”; The Crown Prints, December 2018 Issue.
- Calontir: Mistress Elynor of Glastonbury, Artwork: Illumination; The Mews, August 2018 Issue.
- Drachenwald: Nicholas Pagan McRath, Artwork: Illustration; Dragon Tales, May 2018 Issue.
- East: Alayne Alexandra Nyvern Nightwatcher, OP, Artwork: Illustration, “Love and Oranges”; The Pikestaff, February 2019 Issue.
- Middle: al-Shyka Jahan Ara bint al-Yehya amat al-Hafeeza Artwork: Illustration, “Middle Kingdom Word Shield”. The Pale, April 2019 Issue.
Best Written Contribution to a Kingdom Newsletter
Recognizes the author of an article, regular or special feature, poem, etc. provided for use by a kingdom newsletter. Awarded to the author.
The Winner: Drachenwald: Aleydis van Vilvoorde, Article: “Par Vestimentorum – A Set of Clothes”; Dragon’s Tale, July 2018 Issue.
Commendation: West: Sir Colin MacLear, Bard of the West, Story: “The Alltaf Fullur”; The Page, January 2019 Issue.
- An Tir: THL Violante von Oesterreich, “The Final Nose Kiss”; The Crier, October 2018 Issue.
- Ansteorra: THL Lillias MacGuffin, Poem: “Gulf Wars Haiku”; The Black Star, February 2019 Issue.
- Artemisia: HE K. Braden von Sobernheim, Recurring Article: “Random Carp”; The Sage Advice, Multiple Issues.
- Atlantia: Baroness Morgan Wolfsinger, Poem: “From the Poeta Atlantiae: ‘My naym is Tom’”; The Acorn, January 2019 Issue.
- Caid: Duke Dietrich von Vogelsang, Poem: “Summer Is Here and Every Sylph Was Bade”; The Crown Prints, September 2018 Issue.
- Lochac: Lady Ringwar Northwood, Article: “How to Write a Recommendation”; Pegasus, February 2019 Issue.
- Middle: Baroness Verena Entenwirth, Article: “Welcome Home”; The Pale, August 2018 Issue.
- Trimaris: Don Brian Robertson, Article: “If You Can’t Make Gulf Wars”; Talewinds, April 2019 Issue.
Best Artistic Contribution to a Kingdom Newsletter
Recognizes the artist of artwork or photography used in the interior of a kingdom newsletter. Awarded to the artist(s).
Winner: Lochac: Lord Frederyc de Herle, Illustration; Pegasus, March 2019 Issue.
Commendation: Atenveldt: Lady Celestria Conte, Photograph; Southwind, October 2018 Issue.
- Artemisia: Lord Vincenzo del’Aquila, Photograph, “King and Queen With Sword Pointed Towards New Master of Defense”; The Sage Advice, June 2018 Issue.
- Atlantia: Lady Machteld Cleine, Photograph, “Their Majesties Atlantia, Ragnarr and Lynette”; The Acorn, November 2018 Issue.
- Caid: Duchess Kara the Twin of Kelton, Photograph, “Sir Pelagon of Phithia Receives His Last Blow Which Will Go Unanswered, at His Elevation to the Order of the Chivaly at the Closing Court of Potrero War”; The Crown Prints, July 2018 Issue.
- Drachenwald: Jovi Torstensdottir, Photograph, “Camp at Dawn”; Dragon’s Tale, October 2018 Issue.
- Middle: Tarmach Ben Yehuda al-Khazari, Photograph, “Midrealm General, Alone”; The Pale, August 2018 Issue.
Best Overall Kingdom Supplements for the year A.S. 53
Recognizes the work done on Kingdom Supplements. Awarded to the Kingdom chronicler and their team.
Top Three Winners:
- An Tir: The Crier Equestrian Supplement – July 2018.
- Ealdormere: Vox Borealis – March 2019.
- Gleann Abhann: The Supplemental – December 2018.
- An Tir: The Crier Supplement – March 2019.
- Atenveldt: Southwind XTRA – May 2018, June 2018, November 2018, January 2019, February 2019, March 2019, April 2019.
- Ealdormere: Vox Borealis – November 2018, December 2018, January 2019, February 2019, April 2019.
- Gleann Abhann: Ambassador XTRA – May 2018, June 2018, January 2019, February 2019.
- Northshield: Northwatch XTRA – October 2018.
- Outlands: Outlandish Herald Supplemental – July 2018, September 2018, November 2018.