Return to list of all Blackfox awards
Greetings Gentle Readers!
The Anno Societatis L (50) Master William Blackfox Awards are here!
The selection of the annual winners is one of the greatest honors I have as Society Chronicler. Once again, Kingdom Chroniclers the Known World over gathered the best their kingdom had to offer and proudly submitted their nominees. I am again filled with amazement, having pored over these wonderful submissions for the last several weeks. The commitment of each chronicler, writer, artisan, photographer, poet, and craftsman is utterly inspiring. Thank you all for such wonderful work!
Congratulations to all the nominees. You have all represented your kingdoms and your local groups with distinction. I stand humbled by your talent, generosity and hard work. My gratitude to the Kingdom Chroniclers for the hours spent selecting the nominees. The quality of work you sent me made it so very difficult to choose the winners. That is a wonderful problem to have!
I would like to further extend my thanks to my judges for their assistance with the selections. Winners of this prestigious award will receive a Blackfox token, a certificate and the right to use “Master William Blackfox Award Winner, category, AS L (50)” in their newsletters with the Blackfox logo.
Congratulations to the winners of AS 50,
Mistress Arianna Stefana Falconi, OP
Best Overall Newsletter
Not necessarily the best-looking newsletter, but rather the newsletter which best meets the needs of the local group or guild for which it is published. It should accurately reflect the status of the group and be a valuable tool for growth and promotion of SCA goals and ideals. This title is awarded to the newsletter and the Chronicler.
The winner: Shire of Pilgrims Fount, Kindred Spirit, Lord Jamys Chapman, Chronicler. Kingdom of Gleann Abhann
Commendation: Shire of Coppertree, Windfalls, Aerin Wen, Chronicler. Kingdom of Æthelmearc
- Ansteorra – Barony of Elfsea, Elfsea Tidings, Ealasaid Mac al’Bhaird, Chronicler
- Artemisia – Shire of Stan Wyrm, The Dragon’s Eye, Mistress Iduna Snorradottir, Chronicler
- Atenveldt – Barony of Granite Mountain, Ermine Spot, Lady Allesia de Canaberiis, Chronicler
- Atlantia – Barony of Hidden Mountain, Mountain Mayhem, Lord William Costello, Chronicler
- Caid – Barony of Western Seas, The Runestone, Lady Viviana of Peridot Isle, Chronicler
- Calontir – Barony of the Lonely Tower, The Banner, Isibél inghean Dáire, Chronicler
- Drachenwald – Principality of Nordmark, Silversparren, Fru Ingrid Audardotter, Chronicler
- Ealdormere – Barony of Ben Dunfirth, Clarion, THL Augusta Weyfare, Chronicler
- East – Barony of Smoking Rocks, Keening Points, Marguerite von Elfenau, Chronicler
- Lochac – Barony of Southron Gaard, From the Tower, Mistress Eleanora van den Bogaerde, Chronicler
- Middle – Barony of the Flame, Flamberge, THL Marissa von Atzinger, Chronicler
- Trimaris – Shire of Sangre del Sol, At Sword’s Point, Guillermo Alfonso, Chronicler
- West – Principality of Oertha, The Guardian, Halfdan “Two Bears” Ozurrson, Chronicler
Best Layout and Design
For the best-looking newsletter in balance and style. Awarded to the newsletter and the Chronicler.
The winner: Flamberge, Barony of the Flame, Midrealm; Chronicler: THL Marissa von Atzinger
Commendation: Griffintayle, Barony of Politarchopolis, Lochac; Chronicler: Baroness Ceara Shionnach
- Æthelmearc – Full Tilt, Barony of Delftwood; Chronicler: Lord Jan Langhe ten Walde
- Ansteorra – The Steppes Letter, Barony of the Steppes; Chronicler: THL Aurelia Yverneau
- Artemisia – The Moose Call, Barony of Arn Hold; Chronicler: Lady Ursula de Strattone
- Caid – The Runestone, Barony of Western Seas; Chronicler: Bantiarna Sadhbh inghean Ui Conghal
- Calontir – The Boar’s Snore, Barony of Coeur d’Ennui; Chronicler: Lady Maaline of Coeur d’Ennui
- East – Les Nouvellez du Havre, Barony of Havre des Glaces; Chronicler: Lady Deirdre Ruadh Inghean Mhic An Mhadaidh
- Gleann Abhann – A Sealion’s Tale, Barony of Seleone; Chronicler: Lord Luciano di Giovanni
- Meridies – Iron Baron, Barony of Iron Mountain; Chronicler: THL Anne Geyenogelin
- Trimaris – The Revelry, Barony of Darkwater; Chronicler: Lady Catherine Rose FitzEdmunds
For artwork on the cover or interior of the newsletter. Awarded to both the newsletter and the artist.
The winner: Artist: Don Orlando Sforza; illustration, “Settmour Swamp History”, cover, The MudPuppy, April 2016. Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
Commendation: Artist: THL Isaac Bane; cover illumination, “The Flamebearer”, April 2016. Barony of Wiesenfeuer, Kingdom of Ansteorra
- Atlantia – Artist: Vrouwe Machteld Cleine; photography, “The Nottinghill Quill” February 2016, Barony of Nottinghill Coill
- Caid – Artists: Illustration – Lady Hildibjorg in Vikverska, Digital Illumination – Lady Sadhbh inghean Ui Conghal; Western Seas Baronial Arms, cover illustration and digital illumination, The Runestone, January & February, 2016, Barony of Western Seas
- Ealdormere – Artist: Augusta Weyfare; “Entourage for Dummies”, illustration, The Clarion January 2016, Barony of Ben Dunfirth
- Middle – Artist: Rene Richard; “Untitled”, cover illumination, Flammeus Alles Spring 2016, Barony of Fenix
Best Special Issue
For Arts & Sciences issues or other limited-focus issues of a geographic group (Canton, Shire, Barony, etc.). Awarded to the newsletter and the Chronicler.
The winner: The Ice Dragon- Ice Dragon Artifacts Edition; Barony of the Rhydderich Hael, Æthelmearc; Chronicler: Baron Magnus de Lyons
Commendation: Dragonsspine – Newcomers’ Issue; Barony of Dragonsspine, Outlands; Chronicler: Madame Adelaisa Bernois
- Ansteorra – The Shadow Knows – Newcomers’ Edition; Shire of the Shadowlands; Chronicler: Anna Maleine
- Drachenwald – Knightingale – Baronial Polling Edition; Barony of Knights Crossing; Chronicler: Lady Catalina de Zaragoza
- Ealdormere – Skraeling Althing Chronicle – Bardic Issue; Barony of Skraeling Althing; Chronicler: Baroness Lucia de Enzinas
- East – Moon Lite – Province Status Discussion Edition; Province of Malagentia; Chronicler: Lady Christiana Crane
Best Special Interest Newsletter
This category recognizes guild newsletters, research newsletters, and Arts & Science-focus newsletters (such as lace-making). Awarded to the newsletter and the Chronicler.
The Winner: Dragonsspine, February 2016, Needlework Issue, Barony of Dragonsspine, Outlands; Chronicler: Madame Adelaisa Bernois
Commendation: The Ursus, Summer 2015, Baronial Awards Issue, Barony of Septentria, Ealdormere; Chronicler: THL Thorfinna Grafeldr
Best Regular Feature
For cartoons, articles, columns, etc. which appear regularly in the particular newsletter. Awarded to the creator or feature writer and the newsletter.
The winner:“Articles on A&S”, Author: Lady Catherine Weaver; Baelfyr, Principality of Insulae Draconis, Drachenwald Chronicler: Constanza of Thamesreach
Commendation: “Iduna’s Language Information”, Author: Mistress Iduna Snorradottir; Dragon’s Eye, Shire of Stan Wyrm, Artemisia Chronicler: Mistress Iduna Snorradottir
- Ansteorra – “This Month in Medieval History”, Author: Castelhana de Silva; The Eldern Pages, Barony of Eldern Hills; Chronicler: Castelhana de Silva
- Atlantia – “Haikus by Hattori Shojuro-san”, Author: Lord Hattori Shojuro; Mountain Mayhem, Barony of Hidden Mountain; Chronicler: Lady Mary Poschet
- Caid – “Cooking with Claudius”, Author: Baron Claudius Brutus de Bartolomeo; The Runestone, Barony of the Western Seas; Chronicler: Lady Sadhbh inghean Ui Conghal
- East – “Chronicles and Notes of Recent Events”, Author: Mistress Eowyn Eilonwy of Alewife Brook; The Carolingian Minuscule, Barony of Carolingia, Chronicler: THLady Edith Steyning
- Gleann Abhann – “Carriage Chatter”, Author: Maistir Rory ua Riada, Ardanrunes, Shire of Ardenroe; Chronicler: Lady Cecelia Augustina
- Lochac – “Office of the Month”, Author: Baroness Annys Blodwell; The Innilgard Irregular, Barony of Innilgard; Chronicler: Baroness Annys Blodwell
- Meridies – “Matching Quiz”, Author: Meistres Bronwen o Gydweli; The Equinox, Shire of Sol Haven; Chronicler: Meistres Bronwen o Gydweli
- Middle – “Cooking Tyme”, Authors: Lady Genvieve de Saint-Malo and Lady Áine ingen Uí Briain, The Rivenvale Review, Shire of Rivenvale; Chronicler, Lady Áine ingen Uí Briain
Recognizes excellence in articles appearing in a local newsletter. Awarded to the writer and the newsletter.
The winner: “What is a Courtesan?”, Author: THL Magdalena Lucia Ramberti; The Argus – February 2016, Barony of 1000 Eyes, Artemisia; Chronicler, HL Cayleid Bien Tiernbard
Commendation: “The Basics of Beekeeping”, Author: Lord Gwydion Gwrando; The Shadow Press – Spring 2016, Barony of Shadowed Stars, Midrealm; Chronicler: Lady Broinninn ingen Magnusa
- Ansteorra – “The Roman Ampjora”, Author: Lord Marcvs Aqvilo Lignvm; The Serpent’s Tale – August 2015, Barony of Loch Soilleir; Chronicler: Lady Elena Wyth
- Atlantia – “Interview – If I Were King…”, Author: Lord Cadfan ap Morgan; Clyffe Notes – January 2016, Barony of Dun Carraig; Chronicler: Lady Mary Poschet
- Caid – “The History of Saint Sangria”, Author: Dame Lynnette de Sandoval del Valle de los Unicornios; The Fret Knot – 4th Quarter 2015, Barony of Altavia; Chronicler: Charles Ivansen of Borreby
- Calontir – “The Friar’s Corner”, Author: THL Thomas Bacon; The Boar’s Snore – First Quarter 2016, Barony of Coeur d’Ennui; Chronicler: Maaline of Coeur D’Ennui
- Drachenwald – ” Kennst du schon…? – A guided tour to… Burg Kreuzenstein”, Author: Katharina Woinovich; The Court-Jester – January 2016, Ad Flumen Caerulum; Chronicler: Elischeva von Styra
- Ealdormere – “Horses in Medieval Literature”, Author: Mistress Siglinde Harfnerstochter; Skraeling Althing Chronicle, Bardic Issue – May 2015, Barony of Skraeling Althing; Chronicler: Lucia de Enzinas
- East – “A Present For The Barony, To Fill Idle Winter Hours With Delights Of The Needle”, Author: Countess Ianthé d’Averoigne; The Carolingian Minuscule – January 2016, Barony of Carolingia; Chronicler: Lady Edith Steyning
- Meridies – “The Longest Reign”, Author: Lady Muirenn ingen Uí Dúnchada; The Whetstone, Barony of Thor’s Mountain; Chronicler: Lady Muirenn ingen Uí Dúnchada
- Middle – “A Guide to Youth Rapier Combat in the Middle Kingdom”, Author: Warder Michael McCay; The Gauntlet, Region of Pentamere; Chronicler: Baroness Jahan Ara amat al-Hafeeza al-Shayka
- Gleann Abhann – “SCA Camping Life with a CPAP”, Author: Hrafn Knutsson; The Clouded Issue – Spring 2016, Barony of Grey Niche; Chronicler: THL Rhiadain n’a Rind-Ailue
- Lochac – “Wildmoor Spring Hunt”, Author: THL Aveline Goupil; From The Tower – December 2015, Barony of Southron Gaard; Chronicler: HE Mistress Eleanora van den Bogaerde
- Trimaris – “How to Make a Ring Brooch out of Household Materials”, Author: Lady Alane Godwin; Vair Bell – May 2015, Shire of Starhaven; Chronicler: Lady Alane Godwin
Best Poetry or Short Fiction
Recognizes the author of an outstanding poem or piece of short fiction. Awarded to the writer and the newsletter.
The Winner: “The Courte Harp”, Author: Master Avatar Catsprey; The Serpent’s Tale – September 2015, Barony of Loch Soilleir. Ansteorra; Chronicler: Lady Elena Wyth
Commendation: “A Sonnet fit for a Viking Queen”, Author: Baron Claudius Brutus Di Bartolomeo; The Runestone – 4th Quarter 2015, Barony of the Western Seas; Chronicler: Lady Viviana of Peridot Isle
- Artemisia – “Flame of Uprising”, Author: Lord Tiernbard ap Gwachmai; Argus – January 2016, Barony of 1000 Eyes; Chronicler: THL Cayleid Bein Tiernbard
- Middle – “The Dragons”, Author: HL Breddelwyn ap Taliesin; The Sternfeld Star – May 2015, Barony of Sternfeld; Chronicler: Lord Antonio Bellini
Kingdom Chroniclers’ Honorable Mentions
Nominations which didn’t fit into the above categories, yet are still deserving of recognition for their exceptional work and/or dedication to producing the best possible newsletter for the local group served. Awarded to the individual nominee.
- Ansteorra – “Summer 2015 Crown Tourney and Kingdom A&S”; Author: Don Brian O’hUilliam, The Serpent’s Tale; Barony of Loch Soilleir; Chronicler: Lady Elena Wyth
- Artemisia – “Random Carp”, Author: HE K. Braden von Soberheim, The Moose Call – Multiple Issues; Barony of Arn Hold; Chronicler: Lady Ursula de Strattone
- Ealdormere – “Turn the Page” crossword puzzle; Author: Lord Adnar Dionadair, Ramshaven Herald, Early 2016; Barony of Ramshaven Chronicler: Lord Adnar Dionadair
- Middle – Chronicler: Lady Katrín Grímsdóttir; The RivenSTAR, Barony of Rivenstar
- West – Chronicler: Rena Genevieve Beckwith; The DragonTale, Barony of Selviergard
Kingdom Newsletter Categories
Best Cover for a Kingdom Newsletter
The Winner: Kingdom of Gleann Abhann: Embroidery by THLady Sara de la Petra, Photography by Master Cinead of Eden; The Ambassador, July 2015
Commendation: Kingdom of Ealdormere: Master Eirik Andersen, Photograph; The Tidings, March 2016
- Caid – Lady Hildibjorg in Vikverska, Illustration; The Crown Prints, July 2015
- Calontir – Malachai MacKenzie O’Corrigan, Illustration; The Mews, September 2015
- Meridies – Lord Michael of Exeter, Midrealm, Photograph; Popular Chivalry, January 2016
- Middle – THL Marissa von Atzinger, Illustration; The Pale, March 2016
- Trimaris – THL Tristrum de Kerjean, Photograph: “The New Baronesses of An Crosaire”; The Talewinds, April 2016
Best Written Contribution to a Kingdom Newsletter
Recognizes the author of an article, regular or special feature, poem, etc. provided for use by a kingdom newsletter. Awarded to the author.
The Winner: Ealdormere: Lord Dietrich von Sachsen, “In Remembrance of THL Jane Greenhill”; The Tidings, November 2015
Commendation: Middle: Baron Gebhard Rauten, “Talking Back to the Future”; The Pale, February 2016
- Artemisia – Mistress Iduna Snoradottir, “Iduna’s Language Information”; The Sage Advice Multiple Issues
- Atlantia – Mistress Mordeyrn Tremayne, “Atlantia Rose Garden”; Atlantia Acorn 1604 XTRA Supplement
- Gleann Abhann – Baron Liam Devlin, “Historian Notes”; The Ambassador, February 2016
- Trimaris – THL James Highgate, “On Point…”; Talewinds, December 2015
Best Artistic Contribution to a Kingdom Newsletter
Recognizes the artist of artwork or photography used in the interior of a kingdom newsletter. Awarded to the artist(s).
Winner: Atlantia: Atlantian Scribes, “Atlantia Rose Garden”; Acorn 1604 XTRA Supplement
Commendation: Caid: Lachlan of Cromarty, “Wenceslas Leads his Page on an Errand”; The Crown Prints – December 2015
Also Nominated: Gleann AbhannLady Cecilia Augustina, “Cartoon Rams for Burning Ram Event Flyer”; The Ambassador June 2015