The Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA) is seeking candidates for the position of Society Seneschal/Vice President for Operations.
The Society Seneschal is considered both a Society and Corporate officer, and is responsible for coordinating the administration of the Society’s historical re-creation. This involves directing the activities of the Kingdom Seneschals and of Society-level deputies. Where questions arise concerning the intent of Corpora, the Board specifically authorizes the Society Seneschal to make interpretations and clarifications. The Society Seneschal is also responsible for reviewing all sanction related activities.
This is a part-time stipend position requiring a minimum of 25 hours per week, often more.
Applicants must possess strong communication skills and be capable of interacting with unique SCA personalities without regard to rank or position in the organization. The ability to process and distill large amounts of information from multiple sources is required. Organizational and problem-solving skills are essential. Having held a Kingdom Seneschal position, while not required, is preferred. Applicants must be capable of maintaining a home office space, have access to internet, PC/tablet, printer, and possess word processing skills. Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Adobe Pro is a plus. Ready access to postal service for the mailing of trackable documents is required.
Required skills or background:
· Prior experience in positions of leadership within the SCA or in leading volunteer organizations
· Excellent working knowledge of current SCA corporate documents and handbooks
· Ability to research issues surrounding kingdom and Society rules and policies
· Understanding of how the SCA’s sanction and investigative procedures work; direct experience with these procedures is preferred
· Ability to maintain confidentiality of investigations and other confidential material
· Ability to manage multiple projects and oversee volunteers on both Society and Kingdom levels
· Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
· The ability and willingness to communicate via email, phone, and videoconferencing on a regular basis
· Ability to explain policies, delegate projects, and build consensus
The Society Seneschal is responsible for the following duties:
· Oversee directly and indirectly the planning and implementation of all “game side” activities.
· Deal with large amounts of correspondence with many individuals, including but not limited to all kingdom seneschals, royalty, and corporate/Society level officers, especially the President, VP for Corporate Operations, and Executive Assistant to the Board of Directors.
· Meet via videoconference and/or phone with kingdom seneschals, Directors, and other corporate and Society officers several times a month.
· Provide training and advice to kingdom seneschals on a regular basis.
· Present sanction packets to the Board and provide oversight of investigations related to possible sanctions.
· Interpret Corpora and other SCA policies as needed; revise policies and create new policies as needed to facilitate SCA activities.
· Evaluate and create documentation as needed to facilitate a positive experience for SCA participants.
· Quarterly review of all Kingdom Seneschal reports, respond to reports, and refer Kingdom Seneschal requests or questions to the appropriate Society or Corporate officer for assistance as needed.
· Submit detailed quarterly reports to the President and Board, and supplemental reports as needed.
· Attend all quarterly meetings of the Board of Directors, mid-quarter conference call meetings, and other meetings as required.
· Other duties and projects may be assigned by the Board or President.
The Society Seneschal must be available for the four quarterly Board meetings, typically held over a Friday and Saturday or a Saturday and Sunday. These meetings may be held via videoconference or in person. In-person meetings require travel, typically on a Thursday and Sunday. In addition, the Society Seneschal must be available for conference call meetings of the Board four to twelve times a year, typically on weekday evenings, and meetings or calls with officers or directors on an as-needed basis. Additional travel besides the quarterly meetings may be required, typically around SCA events.
Interested applicants should send a letter of interest, together with modern and SCA qualifications, via email, to [email protected].
Applications are being accepted through January 15, 2024.
- December 5, 2023 October 2023 President’s Report Available
- November 8, 2023 Deputy Society Marshals for Thrown Weapons and Target Archery Appointed