The Society Chronicler oversees the production of kingdom newsletters, local branch newsletters, and any other publications which the Board may designate. Kingdom Newsletters provide a valuable resource and communication tool for SCA members around the world.
Stephanie Sitzes (Mistress Arianna Stefana Falconi, OP)
firstname.lastname@example.org | Additional Contact Info
Policies and Release Forms, William Blackfox Award Recipients
About the William Blackfox Awards
Master William Blackfox was the author and illustrator of the cartoon Warthaven. He gave generously of his time and talents, and was very supportive of the Kingdom Chroniclers until his untimely death. To honor his memory, the Office of the Society Chronicler sponsors the annual Master William Blackfox Awards to recognize excellence in the work of Chroniclers and newsletter contributors.
Past Award Recipients
Nominations for the Blackfox Awards
The Kingdom Chroniclers make the initial nominations from the works in their Kingdom. All kingdoms are encouraged to participate and send in at least two nominations for each of the eight categories. (Note to all local chroniclers – be sure to send copies of your publications to your Kingdom Chronicler. Not only is it policy for you to do so, but it is the only way you can be nominated to participate in this competition.)
Most kingdoms notify nominees of their nomination, either by mentioning their names in print or by sending them a letter congratulating them on their fine work and their nomination to the competition. It is important that all participants realize that the nomination of their work is an indication of excellence.
Judging is completed by the Society Chronicler, with the assistance of disinterested individuals or experts where necessary. In each category, a Winner and a Commended entry are chosen. The results are announced each fall, and are published in the Kingdom newsletters and Tournaments Illuminated. The complete list of all nominees also appears on SCA.org. If you have any questions or suggestions, please send them to email@example.com.
What efforts are recognized?
- Best Overall Newsletter – not necessarily the best-looking newsletter, but the newsletter which best meets the needs of the local group or guild for which it is published. It should accurately reflect the status of the group and be a valuable tool for growth and promotion of the SCA goals and ideals. Awarded to the newsletter and the Chronicler.
- Best Layout and Design – for the best looking newsletter in balance and style. Awarded to the newsletter and the Chronicler.
- Best Artwork – for artwork on cover or interior of the newsletter. Awarded to the newsletter and the artist.
- Best Special Edition – Arts & Sciences issues or other limited-focus issues of a geographic group (Canton, Shire, Barony, etc.). Awarded to the newsletter and the Chronicler.
- Best Special Interest Newsletter – recognizes guild newsletters, research newsletters, and Arts & Science focus newsletters (such as lace-making). Awarded to the newsletter and the Chronicler.
- Best Regular Feature – cartoons, articles, columns, etc. which appear regularly in the particular newsletter. Awarded to the creator or feature writer and the newsletter.
- Best Article – recognizes excellence in articles appearing in a local newsletter. Awarded to the writer and the newsletter.
- Best Poetry or Short Fiction – recognizes the author of an outstanding poem or piece of short fiction. Awarded to the writer and the newsletter.