Download the pamphlet
The Forward into the Past pamphlet was last published in 2005. Please note the following updates:
- Page 1: Membership
A Sustaining membership includes online access to all the kingdoms’ newsletters, as well as to the Quarterly Board Minutes. International and Family memberships also have access to these.
- Page 2: “What is the SCA?”
The organization’s updated Mission Statement no longer refers to Western Europe:
The Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA) is an international non-profit volunteer educational organization. The SCA is devoted to the research and re-creation of pre-seventeenth century skills, arts, combat, culture, and employing knowledge of history to enrich the lives of participants through events, demonstrations, and other educational presentations and activities.
- Page 3: There are currently 20 kingdoms within the SCA.
- Page 10: Kingdom and Local Officers: There is no longer an SCA office of Chirurgeon.
- Page 10: “Who’s Who in the SCA?”
Peers of the Realm: The rank of Peer comes with elevation to one of the four Society Peerage Orders: Chivalry, Laurels, Pelicans, and Masters of Defense.
Members of the Order of the Masters of Defense are recognized for their great skill in rapier and/or cut-and-thrust combat. They are addressed as Master or Mistress. Masters of Defense wear a white livery collar with the order’s insignia of three crossed rapiers, in the shape of an inverted ‘Y’.
- Page 14: Combat in the SCA – Armored combat is open to those who have reached the age of 16, and rapier combat is open to those who have reached the age of 14 — although some kingdom may have rules which set these ages higher.