The Society Marshal is seeking two Deputies to join our team, working to encourage the participation of all in the Society’s martial activities, and striving to expand and improve those activities for the benefit of the Society and its members.
Two Deputies are currently being sought for the roles of:
- Society Deputy for Target Archery (TA)
- Society Deputy for Thrown Weapons (TW)
The duties of the office include:
- Inform and support the Society Marshal in matters concerning TA and TW
- Oversee Kingdom TA/TW Deputies concerning the supervision of TA and TW activities at Society events
- Work to promote and improve the safety of the Society’s TA and TW activities
- Work with the Minister of Arts and Sciences to encourage research in weapons and the practice of historical archery and thrown weapons
Day-to-day work of the position entails administering the TA and TW activities of the Society and coordinating the activities of the Kingdom TA and TW Deputies. Reports are required to be filed quarterly to the Society Marshal summarizing the TA and TA activities of the Society. These activities specifically include:
- Supporting the Kingdom TA and TW Deputies when they have questions, and advising them as necessary
- Review and oversight of Kingdom TA and TW rules to ensure they are consistent with Society TA and TW Handbooks and any affiliate legal limitations
- Help resolving disputes among TA and TW marshals
- Encouraging the expansion of TA and TW activities in the Society through wise revision of the Society TA and TW handbooks, and review and approval of experiments with new materials and activities.
The successful candidate must be well-versed in administrative techniques, problem solving, and interpersonal communications. The successful candidate will possess:
- Knowledge of TA or TW marshallate policy, rules, and procedures
- Knowledge of the traditions of the Society
- Negotiation skills and experience in resolving differences
- The ability to set aside all preferences and biases for the betterment of all
- Patience in the face of emotion, advocacy and provocation
- Experienced in the use of modern communications media, messaging, e-mail and telephone
You must hold a current Society membership.
Interested applicants should send a letter of interest, together with modern and SCA qualifications, to the Society Marshal via email – [email protected]
The deadline for applications is Oct 15, 2023 and is open to members of SCA Inc and all affiliates.